Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Critical Thinking

Probably one of the most valuable homeschooling resources for older kids (4th grade and up) I have found has been the Critical Thinking Company.  There are so many books available, including Word Roots, math, science, etc.  It seems to me that most kids I know could really use lessons in the area of critical thinking, rather than just being spoon fed textbook answers.  In our homeschool we don't use textbooks anyway, but it is a good alternative to have something to work on amidst daily life....that still teaches critical lessons needed later.  I consider myself to be very literate, and I was surprised how difficult some of the seventh grade Latin word roots became, I had to think hard and compare some of them before I answered my son!  I think I'll leave dad to help with math.....I got through Calculus....but by the skin of my teeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment