Sunday, February 21, 2010

Life lessons

We are the sum of all of our parts; good, bad and indifferent.  I can say to myself or others, "I'm not that person anymore" and it is because what used to be in me just isn't there now. 

It is difficult to stay in step with the Spirit every day, but it is certainly worthwhile.  I find that I am happiest when I am looking at the "bad" parts of myself and not necessarily trying to fix them, but being "led" to choose differently.  I notice that the more I focus on my own awareness of my faults and flaws, the less time I have to notice them in others....which isn't my job anyway.  I know that in me, self-righteousness and superior thinking can be a problem.  I work to listen to the Spirit and reform minute by minute.  It's funny, because I definitely don't think of myself as "better" than anyone, but self-righteousness rears its ugly head when I think my choices are better than what others may choose.  I also have always had difficulty with people I think are deliberately ignorant...ignoring issues that are too difficult to deal with, etc.  Yet, who isn't guilty of not facing some issue at some time just because it's hard or uncomfortable?  Certainly I am.  I am learning to be so much more deliberate about awareness and compassion.  Even though I feel like I've always been a compassionate person, I know that I have miles to go before it is completely natural.

The phrase "Give me Your eyes" has come to have special meaning for me.  I strive in every moment now to look with eyes I haven't used before...to think before I even form an opinion that used to be instant.  It is hard work.

Thanks to all the great thinkers and writers who inspire those of us who really want to learn how to be more compassionate and loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment