Sunday, January 31, 2010

Perspective

I've been thinking a lot about perspective lately...specifically, that it is one of the most useful things you can mentally acquire.  I have personally been transformed by perspective.  I feel that I have always had hints of it in my life, but I have never immersed myself in it willingly the way I have in the recent past.  I highly recommend it.

For instance, there have been times in my far distant past as well as fairly recently that I would say my life has taken really rough turns.  Yet, simply by placing myself into the shoes of someone else's story...I realize I am SO FORTUNATE....only my perspective was skewed.  Can I really compare my problems with people whom have lost their children?  Lost soul mates?  Are hungry? Are homeless?  Are friendless? Live without dignity?  Live persecuted?  Live without clean water or the basic necessities of life?  Now, some would argue that it is all in how you look at it, and I don't need to compare myself or my situation with those extreme examples....yet, more and more I see they are not extreme.  If there is one thing that social networking has provided me with, it is a connection to people that all of these things are happening to.  Right now.  People who are connected with people I know.  Not that people I don't know should matter any less....and they don't....but I don't have the luxury of putting them at arms length anymore.  In a way, Thank GOD for Facebook.  I have done more praying in the last six months than the last ten years!

We insulate ourselves every day from so many things.  We need to open ourselves up instead.  It's the key to a happier life for everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenifer,
    This quote isn't about perspective but I thought you would enjoy this Mandela quote.

    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is
    that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness,
    that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world.
    There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people
    won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as
    children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we
    let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission
    to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence
    automatically liberates others."
    Nelson Mandela

    ReplyDelete